2007-09-17

Fantasy author Robert Jordan is dead

From the department of all-those-fans-must-be-annoyed:
It is with great sadness that I tell you that the Dragon is gone. RJ left us today at 2:45 PM. He fought a valiant fight against this most horrid disease. In the end, he left peacefully and in no pain. In the years he had fought this, he taught me much about living and about facing death. He never waivered in his faith, nor questioned our God’s timing. I could not possibly be more proud of anyone. I am eternally grateful for the time that I had with him on this earth and look forward to our reunion, though as I told him this afternoon, not yet. I love you bubba.
My wife and I began reading the Wheel of Time fantasy series back in the early 1990s. After about the 5th book, I realised that Jordan was deliberately patting out the storyline. Eventually we both got absolutely sick of the series because it just went on and on and on...

Now it won't get finished. It's sad that Jordan is dead but, really, the Wheel of Time was just too annoying to keep reading.

2 comments:

James Garth said...

Yes, I couldn't agree more. I dropped the series at about the same point for exactly the same reason. It was simply becoming the Never-ending Story, with far too much filler, and not enough urgency in the storyline. I just couldn't be bothered investing the time to find out what happened to the characters which initially seemed so interesting. I maintain that Raymond E. Feist was a vastly superior storyteller.

Also, I always wondered whether Jordan was a member of the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-day Saints, given the polygamist undertones in Rand's relationships. :-0

Neil Cameron (One Salient Oversight) said...

I think Jordan was really into Ayn Rand's philosophies (the main character in WOT is Rand).

One of the main subjects in Ayn Rand's philosophy is the struggle of the individual to rid himself of the shackles of all that prevents him from reaching his goals, including societal norms.

That would probably describe Rand Al Thor.