Ever since new EU rules have allowed English county sides to select multiple overseas cricketers, the amount of non-English qualified players in the County Championship has increased dramatically. These are called "Kolpak" players after the EU court decision. As a result, county team Hampshire have already fielded Shane Warne, Simon Katich, Sean Ervine (Zimbabwe), Craig McMillan (New Zealand) and Nic Pothas (South Africa) in their side this season.
So here is the Leicestershire lineup:
- DDJ Robinson - 32. Former Essex player. Not a class player by any means.
- CJL Rogers - 27. Western Australian batsman.
- JK Maunders - 24. Former Middlesex player. Not a great player either.
- JL Sadler - 23. Former Yorkshire player.
- HD Ackerman - 32. Captain. Former South African Test player (4 Tests, no ODI).
- JJ Krejza - 22. NSW Spin bowler. No real impact yet in first class cricket.
- TJ New - 20. Wicketkeeper from Leicestershire with 6 first class matches behind him.
- OO Gibson - 36. Former West Indian Test bowler (2 Tests, 15 ODI).
- DD Masters - 27. Former Kent fast bowler. 140 f/c wickets at 34.29 = meh.
- SCJ Broad - 19. Son of BC Broad, playing in 5th f/c match.
- CM Willoughby - 30. Former South African fast bowler (2 Tests, 3 ODI)
As I write this I notice that Robinson and Rogers have put on 194 for the first wicket. Lee 6-1-40-0 and MacGill 13.3-0-85-0. Go Lee! Over six runs an over!
CJL Rogers hit 209 off 219 balls with DDJ Robinson 81 off 153. They put on 247 for the first wicket. Lee 13-3-78-1, MacGill 21.4-1-122-4, Gillespie 20-7-60-0, Kasprowicz 20-4-57-0. Leicestershire 2nd innings 5-363, match drawn.
From the This Salient Sporting Life Department