2007-07-14

Getting Blogspotted

It's always a nice thing when someone spots a blog post you've written and then begins a discussion about it at another blog. This has just happened at Angry Bear where some economics mavens are discussing my idea about discouragement taxes.

On the odd occasion my blog posts get picked up and posted by others simply because they visit the site like you are at the moment. Most of the time, however, it's a deliberate act on my part. Steve Gilliard, the much missed blogger who ran The News Blog, would oftentimes pick up on these emails and post what I'd sent.

It is really nice when this happens, but I realise that I need to have a positive attitude towards this when it occurs - ie I need to be happy when it happens but not annoyed when it doesn't.

The fact is that bloggers like Steve Gilliard or Craig Schwarze or Cactus at Angry Bear don't owe me anything. If they don't post about the things I email them or blog about then that's their prerogative and I am not offended. They own their blogs and choose to post whatever they darn well please and if they deign to make some remarks about something I've written then that is their own business too.

It's at this point that I'll quote Maddox, the 21st century's greatest philosopher and pirate:

Blogger: Term used to describe anyone with enough time or narcissism to document every tedious bit of minutia filling their uneventful lives. Possibly the most annoying thing about bloggers is the sense of self-importance they get after even the most modest of publicity. Sometimes it takes as little as a referral on a more popular blogger's website to set the lesser blogger's ego into orbit.

Then God forbid a blogger gets mentioned on CNN. If you thought it was impossible for a certain blogger to get more pious than he was, wait until you see the shit storm of self-righteous save-the-world bullshit after a network plug. Suddenly the boring, mild-mannered blogger you once knew will turn into Mother Theresa, and will single handedly take it upon himself to end world hunger with his stupid links to band websites and other smug blogger dipshits.

I don't think I could have said it better myself.


1 comment:

Gordon Cheng said...

It would be nice if there weren't so many cuss words in that quote!