Direct download here (pdf 194.9kb).
- Highest rate of unemployment since September 1992, which was also 7.6%.
- The last unemployment peak was 7.8% in June 1992.
- The last time unemployment reached 8.0% was January 1984.
- The postwar unemployment peak was 10.8% in November and December 1982.
- Unemployment has increased from 4.9% in January 2008 to 7.6% in January 2009. That's a 250 basis point year-on-year increase. The last time that happened was between October 1981 and October 1982, when unemployment increased from 7.9% to 10.4% - 250 basis points. It should be noted that such a movement in the unemployment rate over a 12 month period is more damaging if the original level was low. This means that the current increase is more damaging than the 1981-82 increase. Source.
- A 390 basis point increase occurred between May 1974 (5.1%) and May 1975 (9.0%).
- Reuters says that the 598,000 increase is the worst in 34 years (1975).